Knitting is a craft that will give you lifetime satisfaction and relaxation. By learning the ability to knit, you can create lovely handmade gifts for yourself and for the ones you love. Don’t ever forget that those made from the heart are the ones remembered. Your talent, your time, your effort, even the colour of yarn that you choose becomes a part of your gift. It is simply giving a part of you in every gift you present.
Knitting is a method of using various yarns or thread whether multicoloured or one single block into pieces of cloth or garments. It requires a steady supply of various knitting techniques to make it more worthwhile and rewarding. Although it has been introduced and practiced for over thousands and thousands of years, a lot of people still find it hard to knit. True, it may not be the easiest thing to do but with constant exposure and practice, you will be up on your toes knitting.
A lot of beginners even experience knitters still scout for knitting techniques to further enhance their own. Some may find it hard to start knitting with all the needles involve, but don’t worry you are not alone. In fact, thousands of women think about knitting but just don’t know where to begin. Patience is the key element in knitting. Yes, it is time consuming and arduous at first but the results are very much fulfilling.
Here are some basic knitting techniques and tips to help you get started.
1. Before you start, find a comfortable chair and a location with sufficient lighting. Just like learning a new skill, a strong attitude of perseverance and patience is required. Remember, your experience should be fun. If anywhere you’ll get stuck, just take a deep breathe and continue.
2. One very essential knitting technique is casting on. This serves as your first stitch and the foundation of one new row of stitches.
3. If you are left-handed, don’t fret! Unlike crochet, knitting uses both of your hands equally.
4. Start on sample stitches just until you are comfortable with the evenness of your stitches before you proceed with your project.
5. Another very important technique that knitters practice is to firmly grip on your needles especially when doing slip knots at the beginning.
Don’t be afraid to explore. Once you are acquainted with the habit, find more ways to enhance your very own knitting technique and you will be amazed on the things you can do!